POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : photons and sunpos.inc : Re: photons and sunpos.inc Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photons and sunpos.inc
From: Phil Cook
Date: 15 Jun 2004 07:35:01
Message: <opr9mvqsl8efp2ch@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:00:32 -0600, Anthony D. Baye
<ant### [at] sdsmtedu> did spake, saying:

> I'm currently working with an outdoor scene, and I'm using sunpos.inc
> for my lightsource.  The problem arises when I turn on photons, I keep
> getting an error message saying "Photon map could not be saved: No
> photons."
> Does this have something to do with the distance sunpos.inc translates
> the light_source?  or am I missing something?
> I tried incresing the number of photons using the spacing keword rather
> than count, but it still hadn't finished the photon run after almost
> three hours.

As a quick solution try upping the reflection values (0.1 seems to work):
9.1.3.5 Photon mapping is calculated only for those (user-specified)
objects that need it (ie. objects that have reflection and/or refraction).

As your objects barely reflect or refract maybe there aren't enough
photons doing anything worth storing?

> Might I get better results if I used a shadowless light_source w/o media
> interaction to cast the photons, placing it closer to the scene and
> aligning it with
> rotate <0, Az-90, Al> (provided by sunpos.inc)?
>
> I'm running POV 3.5 on a Macintosh G4, 400 Mhz with 64 megs of ram
> (shockingly pathetic, isn't it?)

Not really I run on occasion on a 266 PII with 64Mb now that's pathetic :)

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.